Situated in the northwest corner of present day Lehigh County. It is bordered on the north by the Blue Mountain. The Ontelaunee Creek drains much of this rural township. Lynn Township was established in 1732. The early settlers came from the German Palatinate, Switzerland and an area known as "Allemaengel". Many small villages still exist from the 1700's and the 1800's, including New Tripoli, Lynnport, Wanamakers, Jacksonville, Mosserville, Stine's Corner, Steinsville, and Lynnville.
Prior to 1752, the territory now known as Heidelberg Township was known as the Heidelberg District and was part of Berks County. The Heidelberg District originally included present day Lynn and Washington Townships. On June 6, 1752, following the organization of Northampton County in March of 1752, a petition was received and endorsed by the first court, making Heidelberg a township. The first official act in recognition of Heidelberg as a township was made in October 1752 when Conrad Blose was appointed Constable. Lynn was set off from Heidelberg Township this same year, but for almost 100 years Heidelberg Township included a territory that now is Washington Township. The area of the Township until 1847 was about 51.8 square miles or 33,000 acres; then it was reduced to the present 26.3 square miles.
On October 5, 1999, the Historical Society was founded. It is a non-profit corporation in the Commonwealth of Pa., and designated as a 501(c)(3) Charitable Organization under federal tax law. Original trustees are Carl D. Snyder, Irwin P. Hamm, Robert A. Nagle, Willard A. Snyder, and Dawn A. Straughn.
Our Mission: The support of an educational undertaking by promoting the discovery, collection, preservation, archive display, interpretation and publication of the history, historical records, culture, landmarks, artifacts, memorabilia, and data of, and relating to the Townships of
Lynn-Heidelberg and surrounding areas.
memory of our President Emeritus, Carl D. Snyder, 1923 - 2007. He was a founding member
of the Lynn/Heidelberg Township Historical Society.
the letter from the President's Tribute to Carl.